Monday, December 6, 2010

Run Monster Run!


The first marathon experience is such fodder for discussion that a new blog post comes as a natural reflex. Pounding through 42km, with only an AHM under my belt to count for any vague “long-distance” experience, made me exceedingly nervous at the start line. I protected my nipples and my balls, but failed to pay attention to my armpits, which burned during the post-race cold shower. But we’ll save that for later.

I wasn’t really expecting much, but only to complete the race under 5 hours. Anything more, and it would have been an embarrassment, considering that Qian Yi was aiming for 4:45 (and eventually came in 4:05!) The start went off smoothly, and I was rather concerned that my pace may be unsustainable because I was doing good timing until the return leg from East Coast. Right on cue, at the 25km mark, my electrolyte homeostasis went awry, and the right quads stopped listening to me. I have never slobbered so much deep heat in my entire life. Heck. This marathon was the first time ever I used any form of NSAIDs on myself. Not even the time they took out my wisdom tooth and put in stitches in my gums.

I went through all that my friends told me before the race. “Take 1x power gel at every 10km… Take drinks at all stations, especially the 100-plus… It will be painful… Take the bananas… You will just ache for a week after the run, it’s ok…” I followed all the POSITIVE advice religiously. At the 10km mark, Felicia and Bryan overtook me while I slurped up the Lemon Sublime. At the 20km mark, it was Strawberry Banana. Along the way, 2 x bananas were also helpful, though I was seriously hoping for a Filet O’ Fish (ala Roger).


Brynner said “Try not to stop…” I tried as best as I could, but I just had to at the 25km. From then on, it was entirely mental, bearing testimony to what Wei Khyuan said, “For the marathon, it’s not about cardiovascular endurance, but about how your legs are able to take it.” Oh lassitude... a word that sounds nice but fills you with agony...

I literally hobbled through the Marina Golf Course, and tried to run from the Barrage onwards, because I was back on familiar grounds and the end should be somewhere near. Along the way I had fun reading the words of encouragement that runners pinned on their backs. “If found, drag across the finish line.” “I love Daddy (complete with a family photo involving a 4-month old child)” “I know it’s painful. I’m in pain too!” “Help me to do this under 4:20, and my friend will quit smoking.” Every runner has a story to tell, and a motivation to run. For me, it was coercion from friends, and an egoistic need to be part of the 60,000-strong in-crowd.

It was also fun to listen to what fellow runners had to say. Active agers practicing qigong at East Coast were seen congratulating and cheering on a 70+ year old full marathoner in Hokkien “要拼才会赢!” Running buddies were pacing one another and giving advice, “Keep the pace. 2 mins ahead of time.” I ran past this random lady who started to walk, and for some reason, I muttered to her “Come on you can do it,” and she actually replied “Ok!” and started to run. It was a wonderful feeling to be a positive influence. Really.

The funniest moment came when 1 guy literally sang the BEP’s hit “I gotta feeling!” to his friend. Of course instead of gyrating to the party groove, his friend said “Serious?” in the most concerned manner possible, and the first guy stopped shortly thereafter to nurse his cramping calves, accompanied by his buddy who also stopped to help apply deep heat.

患难见真情. It may be clichéd, but this is the truth.

Fast forward to Esplanade Bridge, and I opened up my strides, to reach the finish line at a net time of 4:48. I heard Eve shouting “Good job!” amongst the supporters and I was gleeful, until I actually stopped to walk again to collect my finisher-tee. Lactic acid coursing through the muscles was not a good feeling, trust me. So was unchilled 100-plus that the organizers were handing out. Seriously, there must be more muscles in our lower limbs than what Snell says, because I was cramping up at places I never knew existed…

Post race I made my excruciating walk to the F1 pit building (WHY SO FAR AWAY!!!) to collect my bag, downed a Sub at the Flyer, met Geraldine Cheong (who was here to support Huiliang doing his 3rd marathon!) and went home.

And so, I began by talking about the large patches of abrasions at both armpits, which was particularly tormenting to nurse but fortunately started to epithelialise today. The annoying thing is my left ankle is still hurting when I weight bear. Looks like an ATFL strain, ?tear, and hopefully not a stress fracture *touch wood touch wood!!!*

I need to get back to my DB training soon... RICE RICE RICE!

To end this post, here's a video shared by Sheila on Facebook, which I think sums up succinctly the post-race sentiments of the 19,000 full marathoners (ok maybe not all of them but at least the lousy untrained ones like me). Great job everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment